March 21, 2022
The stock market is an intriguing place with a long history full of quirks, anomalies, and data. Here are a few facts that might surprise you:
- Amazon stock has gained +1%, on average, every 12 days for the last 25 years.
- Since 1950, the S&P 500 has dropped -2% in a day 408 times. In 68% of those instances, the S&P 500 also gained +2% within the next two weeks.
- A Bank of America stock split study found that stocks that split have a +16% performance advantage, over the following 12 months, versus stocks that don’t split. It will be interesting to see if this holds true for the upcoming splits of Amazon (AMZN) and Alphabet (GOOGL).
- The value today of $1,000 invested when Apple went public is $1,688,800. For Tesla, it is $257,647, and for Facebook (Meta) it is $5,743.
- Since 1960, any investor who bought the S&P 500 the day it reached a -10% decline would have profits 81% of the time a year later and an average gain of +12%.
- The S&P 500 reached a new all-time closing high 70 times in 2021.
We hope some of these add to your knowledge about the stock market. As always, feel free to contact us with questions or concerns.